Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March Book Pick


"Told in Kvothe's own voice, this is the tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, and his life as a fugitive after the murder of a king form a gripping coming-of-age story unrivaled in recent literature. A high-action story written with a poet's hand, The Name of the Wind is a masterpiece that will transport readers into the body and mind of a wizard. "
I love this book. I think its a great escape and the characters are interesting and charismatic. It is science fiction so if you "just can't picture it" in your mind, you probably won't like it. Its approaching one of my favorites. It is the debut novel for Mr. Rothfuss and I get conflicting information on the break of the second book. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Lauri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauri said...

The first 50 pages are hard to read. After that it is hard to put the book down.
I loved this book. I am only sad that I have to wait until 2010 for book 2.

Annell said...

Enjoy I did. Thank you, Susan, for picking this book. I loved it! I love how humble, yet confident Kvothe is. I can't quite figure out Demme or if Kvothe should trust her, let alone love her. This is definitely on my "to Buy" list and I'm going to have a hard time waiting for the next 2 to come out!

Lauri said...

Annell, I always am glad when you post on the book, then I don't have to be the only one.

Jen said...

I'm only to the part where he's telling his life story. Are you telling me that it gets better from here, because right now I'm very bored.

Anonymous said...

It was a slow start. I almost gave up, but I didn't and I'm glad. Once he started telling his story it flew by. It seriously took me a week to get through those first chapters and I read the rest in a day. I liked Kvothe, but I loved his friend Simmons and how tender he was. My favorite part was when he cried after Kvothe sang his song and how Simmons couldn't stop crying. That just made me laugh. I don't know what's up with Denna though...she's kinda mysterious. My only gripe.....WE HAVE TO WAIT YEARS FOR THE REST OF THE STORY!!!!