Sunday, February 12, 2012

March Pick - The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler


It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present

3 comments:

Candy said...

I knew Jay Asher sounded familiar (13 Reasons Why). I liked the premise, but wish they'd done more with it. It was a good read, although the ending seemed a little lame. I mean, you KNOW what's going to happen, so when it actually does, it should have had more oomph. Just my two cents.
But good pick, Susan.
Fav quote:
“He broke your heart! How can you call it love when he hurt you so badly?”
Kellen pops another fry into her mouth. “It was love because it was worth it" 53.

Anonymous said...

I liked it. Fast and Easy. I do wish the ending could have been a little better.

Interesting idea. I'd get sucked into looking into my future.

Totally.

Lauri said...

I liked this book, because it made me think about whether or not I would change my future. It is always good to read a book that leaves you thinking about it. It is amazing how some of our choices that seem so small have large consequences.

Quote:p.32
“Why would anyone say this stuff about themselves on the Internet? It’s crazy!”
“Exactly,” I say. “I’m going to be mentally ill in fifteen years…”

p.353
“All week, “I’ve known bits and pieces of my future, and I’ve wondered how my current actions affect me in fifteen years. But when Emma’s finger touched mine, I was only thinking of now.”