Monday, December 14, 2009

January's Book Pick



Written from Debbie Rodriguez's personal experiences in Afghanistan between 2001-2006, "Kabul Beauty School" not only tells Debbie's story, but the stories of the Afghanistan women that Debbie met during her stay in the country. Rodriguez uses an easy writing style that has the reader turning the pages without realizing it. The stories of Afghanistan and it's women will swell up a range of emotion from happiness to despair, but thankfully Rodriguez leaves us with hope for the future.

The full book online:
http://books.google.com/books?id=8DNOF6i5VzwC&dq=kabul+beauty+school&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=xM3IJiBT0B&sig=yyMjvEMg1g6qroWoGwuf9psAsv4&hl=en&ei=NEImS-qqCZHasQOhm7inBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=&f=false

4 comments:

Lauri said...

I liked this book OK. I didn't like the main character so that was kind of a problem. I didn't think she was a very good mother and she seemed to not really think everything out. Who goes to a foreign country and gets married?

I think I would rather read a sci-fi book with mean men on a pretend planet then one with mean men on our own planet.

Favorite quote page 225: "Poppy killers?" Sam's eyes widened. He almost shuddered as he looked at the guy. "Debbie, I thought you loved dogs!"

Anonymous said...

I loved this story. I recommend it to everyone who comes into the bookstore and buys either kahlid houssini or greg mortensen books. I think it is great hearing this lady's story. I thought she was a little to forward for my liking, but she needed to be that way to make it in the male dominated world she had entered.

I can't think of my favorite quote because I don't have my book. ;)

Jen said...

Boy, once again I find myself on the outs with the population of America. I did not like this book. It was an interesting look into another culture's way of life, but that is where my compliments end. I found the writer to be self-centered, flaky and impulsive to a fault. (I hope she never reads this because that last sentence is just plain mean) The book is poorly written; kind of like reading a 10 year old's diary, and I only believed about half of what she claimed as true. Total struggle to get through for me.

Annell said...

It's been a while since I've read this one. I remember loving the story and great insight to what life is like for a woman in the middle east. Although, I have to agree, I thought the main character was a selfish mother. I could not leave my children and start a whole new life as she did.