Monday, May 9, 2011

June's Pick


Alcatraz versus the evil Librarians
Sanderson, Brandon

Cover

A hero with an incredible talent...for breaking things. A life-or-death mission...to rescue a bag of sand. A fearsome threat from the powerful secret network that rules the world...the Evil Librarians. Alcatraz Smedry doesn’t seem destined for anything but disaster. On his thirteenth birthday, he receives a bag of sand, and his life takes a bizarre turn. This is no ordinary bag of sand…so it’s too bad that Alcatraz doesn’t keep a closer eye on it. It is quickly stolen by the Evil Librarians who secretly rule the world by spreading misinformation and suppressing truth. The bag of sand will give the Evil Librarians the edge they need to achieve world domination. Alcatraz must stop them...by infiltrating the local library, armed with nothing but eyeglasses and a talent for klutziness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This book cracks me up. It is silly & fun and an easy read. I really liked the dinosaurs. They made me laugh a lot.

Fav Quote: "It is a writer's greatest pleasure to hear that someone was kept up until the unholy hours of the morning reading one of his books. It goes back to authors being terrible people who delight in the suffering of others. Plus, we get a kickback from the caffeine industry." pg. 251

Lauri said...

I chose this book because I love Brandon Sanderson and it is the only book he has written that I thought I could get some members of book club to read.
This book made me laugh and was such a fast read. Just the premise of evil librarians made me want to read it.
But the very best part of the book is: "You could even scan to the end and read the last page. Know that by doing so, however, you would violate every holy and honorable storytelling principle known to man, thereby throwing the universe into chaos and causing grief to untold millions." p.236
Followed by: "And so, untold millions screamed out in pain, and then were suddenly silenced. I hope you're happy." p.308

Linda wrote my 2nd favorite quote so I will just use other ones.
"My experience has been that the number of stamps it rakes to send a package increases without warning or pattern. (The postage people are, I'm convinced, quite sadistic in that regard." page 7

"Every intelligent people believe what they read and hear, assuming they're given no need to question." p119

"Authors write books for one, and only one, reason: because we like to torture people...the simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled with cute bunnies having birthday parties." p165-166

Annell said...

This book had me laughing. Every book I've read by this author, I've enjoyed. It truly cracked me up thinking and reading about evil Librarians who have taken over the world. I like the dinosaurs too. Seriously...I'd love to meet a talking Dinosaur like them.

Favorite Quote:

"You are completely nuts, you know." It's always best to be blunt with people. "Thank you!" Grandpa Smedry said as the car began to slow.