Sunday, June 13, 2010

Lauri's pick for July

syndetics-lc
Magic Study
by Maria V. Snyder

You know your life is bad when you miss your days as a poison taster...

After saving the Commander's life, Yelena is set free - though she must leave Ixia. But with less than a year to learn to get her magic under control or be destroyed by the other wizards for disrupting the order of things, she's nervous. She's anxious as well about finding the family she was stolen from 14 years ago. Going to her birth country of Sitia is almost like going to another world, and she finds it difficult to accept the changes she's going through. Especially as she gets involved with the exiled prince of Ixia who wants her help to lead a coup against the Commander and her mentor, Valek. Everyone in the South believes she should hate the North, but though she had some bad times, the North is filled with people and things she loved as well. And Yelena finds that her independence and growing powers make it difficult to fit in anywhere.

6 comments:

Annell said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK! I love it! Though I haven't read the first book, the author explained enough that I understood the basics. Yelena is one tough girl who's had a very rough life and is learning to control her magic. I love her parents and wish I could climb trees as good as her mom. My favorite parts of the book were when she was talking to her horse. For me, this was one of those books that was very tough to put down. I can't wait to read the other two. Thanks Lauri for a good read!

Favorite Quotes:
~Kiki's view of life sounded right. Good food, fresh water, an occasional sweet and someone to care for. That's what everyone should have. pg. 212

~"Living is a risk," I snapped at him. "Every decision, every interaction, every step, every time you get out of bed in the morning, you take a risk." pg. 229

~I called to Perl, telling her I was fine. "You can come down now," I said. "Yelena! Thank fate! Come up here where it's safe," she said. pg. 291

Anonymous said...

Great story. I really enjoyed it. I did read the first book first, so I was able to follow the story well. I read both books really quickly and am starting the third. Magic, adventure, love.....what else do you need?

Favorite Quote:

"Scratching his scar, he added, "Of course, you didn't want our help. Now I have to go beat up some soldier just to keep my ego intact." pg. 290

Candy said...

I liked the second book much better than the first. I especially liked her parents, and where they lived. (Love that quote Annell has about the mom telling her to come up in the tree where it's safe!)

I also liked the idea of making a flag when someone dies: “A grief flag is our way of honoring the dead. It’s a representation of the person. We decorate it with the things that made up a person’s life, and when we raise the flag high, it releases their spirit into the sky” (244).

Lucinda said...

Loved, Loved, Loved it! I am going to get the set and share them! Thanks Lauri!! I can't hardly wait to read the first and the third!

Annell stole my quotes... ;-)

Lauri said...

I love this writer. Not too much description. I want to live in the trees and talk with horses. I also like that the magic in this book is different from most magic books.
This is one of the few books I would read a second time.

Susan said...

I loved this book! Annell also stole my favorite quote about get up in the tree where its safe! I want to live in the trees!