Wednesday, April 6, 2011

APRIL'S NAUGHTY PICK

A delightful first novel by british actor, comedian, and author of the television series "A Bit of Fry and Laurie." In this spoof (of sorts) of the spy genre, Laurie's appealing turns of phrase will grab readers from the first paragraph. Thomas Lang, formerly of the Scots Guard and currently a freelance bodyguard/man for hire, is offered an assassination job. He indignantly refuses, attempts to warn the victim, and is soon embroiled in the undercoer work for the British Government, CIA operatives, arms dealers, and terrorists. Those who enjoy action or spy novels will be swept along in the events. Although somewhat convoluted, the plot is so punctuated with bursts of sly humor that readers won't mind a bit of confusion.


"Hugh Laurie...... has split the atom, spoofed the spy thriller yet still made it work as a......spiffy piece of suspense.....THE GUN SELLER.....serves up Tom Clancy-style techno- gung- ho-macho-hardware-speak. But it does so with a wink."

2 comments:

Lauri said...

I am sorry to say that I only made it to about page 50.
Too much language for me and way too much description.

Pam said...

I really liked this book when I started it, I actually got to sit down for a few hours to read. However, I had to grab 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there for the next 100 pages and it was to hard to get back into the story each time. I will try to read this again when I have more leisure time:) For those of us that are sensitive to certian "cuss" words it may be a bit offensive.(I most certainly not talking about Candy) I really liked the humor of the author. Sorry ladies for not finishing, you will have to help me with the review.