Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Linda's Pick for June


Shadow & Bone
by

Leigh Bardugo

Synopsis:

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.


Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.



Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart.
 - from leighbardugo.com

I hope you all enjoy it!!!

3 comments:

Lauri said...

I wanted to like this book and so I gave it longer than I might have another book. It took until about the middle of the book before I really enjoyed reading this book. By the end I was willing to read the second book in the trilogy.

My favorite character was Genya, I guess maybe it's not easy to be beautiful after all.

Unknown said...

This book does have a slow start. I actually started it three different times and didn't get very far.

But, I am glad I picked it up a fourth time. I ended up enjoying it and I am waiting for the 2nd book at the library.

I liked how Alina figured out her powers and how to control them and why she was even hiding them in the first place.

Jen said...

I liked it. Which may not seem like much, but those in the know, know I don't like fantasy. This is gentle fantasy though. The kind of fantasy that if you squint one eye you could almost imagine happening in real life. It's your basic heroine-that-doesn't-know-it-yet is in love with boy-who-hasn't-realized-it-yet book, all written in an easy, flowing style.