Monday, July 9, 2012

Anne's Choice for August




Andy Barber has been an assistant district attorney in his suburban Massachusetts county for more than twenty years. He is respected in his community, tenacious in the courtroom, and happy at home with his wife, Laurie, and son, Jacob. But when a shocking crime shatters their New England town, Andy is blindsided by what happens next: His fourteen-year-old son is charged with the murder of a fellow student. Every parental instinct Andy has rallies to protect his boy. Jacob insists that he is innocent, and Andy believes him. Andy must. He's his father. But as damning facts and shocking revelations surface, as a marriage threatens to crumble and the trial intensifies, as the crisis reveals how little a father knows about his son, Andy will face a trial of his own-between loyalty and justice, between truth and allegation, between a past he's tried to bury and a future he cannot conceive. Award-winning author William Landay has written the consummate novel of an embattled family in crisis-a suspenseful, character-driven mystery that is also a spellbinding tale of guilt, betrayal, and the terrifying speed at which our lives can spin out of control.

5 comments:

Lauri said...

I really liked this book and was unable to put it down. Which of course means I read the end half way through the book. And yes, the end is just as much of a surprise no matter when you read it. I will be reading his other books. I am glad I had this book on vacation where I could just sit around and read most of the day.

Annell said...

I'm not usually one for legal/courtroom books or anything that is remotely non-fiction. However, I could not put this one down. I had to know what happened next and I constantly thought and wondered about the book when I wasn't reading it. I kept asking myself, "What would I do if I was in this situation?" And yes, the ending will completely shock you.

Favorite Quote:
"A good marriage drags a long tail of memory behind it. A single word or gesture, a tone of voice can conjure up so many remembrances." pg. 36

Anonymous said...

Uhm wow. I wasn't sure if I would like this book at first, but I couldn't put it down. I had some stuff figured out so I was kinda prideful in myself in that the author didn't pull a fast one on me....and then the end! Holy moley I did not see that coming.

Thanks Anne!

Anne said...

This book had me thinking about it for quite awhile after I read it. I really wanted to discuss it with someone, and tried to talk my daughter into reading it. I look forward to our discussion, I want to hear how you would handle the situations presented in the book.

Candy said...

Loved it. Kept me on the edge of my seat. Can't wait to discuss it!