Tuesday, November 17, 2009

December's Book of the Month


The Hunger Games

by Suzanne Collins



In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survived.


I thought this was a nice cheery book. Just right for the holiday season. ;) I hope you all enjoy.


(Book Club will be held on December 14th @ Linda's house)

6 comments:

smartalec said...

I accidentally bought this book a few weeks ago.

Border's gave me a 50% off coupon that I couldn't stand to waste. But I promised myself I would wait until after school to open it.

And then tonight I let myself read, ONLY, chapter one.

Now I am on page 150...

It's very inconvenient that the darn book just keeps getting better.

Anonymous said...

I started this book not knowing what to expect. When I started working at B&N the second book had just come out, so I kept hearing a lot about it.

It was fabulous. I love that at its heart it is a love story, but not a typical one. I was engrossed from the very beginning. I like how is has humor and adventure and love.

It has become one of my favorites! Sorry, no favorite quote because I couldn't choose! ;)

Lucinda said...

To be honest I wasn't hooked in the first part of the book. But I understand the back story needs to be placed. Thankfully it was set rather quickly. I read it in 3 days and am currently begging for more! LOVED IT! Beautifully done! Can't wait to read the second one, but mad the 3rd won't be out for a year or so. But, on the bright side I might get a few nights of sleep, instead of playing the "just one more chapter" game!

Annell said...

I could not put this one down! I wasn't quite sure I would like this one, but I really did. Quite a different kind of story but definitely one I would read again. The second one is just as good.

Favorite Quote:
"Tomorrow I'll make a new plan. But tonight, all I can do is strap myself in and take tiny bites of the bread. It's good. It tastes of home."
pg. 239

Lauri said...

I didn't want to like this book, however I was quickly sucked in by the characters. The author was able to make you feel like you really knew them. I would not classify this as a "cheery" book but I will be reading the sequel.

Favorite quote p.239 2 paragraphs after Annell's
"Sometimes when things are particularly bad, my brain will give me a happy dream."

Also page 209
"How comforting the presence of another human being can be."

Susan said...

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I am going to get the 2nd one this weekend!

I have no favorite quote because the whole book was great!