Saturday, November 15, 2008

What I Learned at Book Club This Month: vol.3

When Mitch and i got married, he brought with him a very extensive library. A very extensive, boring library comprised entirely of non-fiction, improve-your-mind drivel. Needless to say, I didn't read any of it (we lived three blocks from the library that was filled to the brim with important books that had "they lived happily ever after" at the end).

There was however, one book in his library that caught my eye; How to Win Friends and Influence People. When I found out that it was a very important Business Major book and not a book about how to be the most popular girl in my apartment complex, I decided not to read it. Sadly, this was evidenced at monday night's book club where I learned...

Politics do not make friends.

I should say, re-learned, because 8 years ago I made a vow to myself that I would stop thinking, caring or discussing politics. Seriously, I can't be trusted. In fact, a past discussion of politics with my husband caused a marital battle so severe it is only overshadowed by the Great Garden Dirt Fight of '99--but that's a story for another day.

So I have tried to stay politically neutral. I've tried to be blase. Heck, I haven't even voted since George W's first run. I can't. Because if I do, I get too involved. And then I speak my mind. And I'm not well-spoken, so it comes out more like "Blah, blah, blah...You're wrong!" Which is, historically, not a very good argument. So then my frustration with myself spills out and washes over everyone around me sounding a lot like, "Blah, blah, blah....I'm right!" And then I have no friends or marital bliss.

So, I'm back on the wagon. No more political views for myself. I'm going to switch off of CNN and turn the channel back to TLC. Then I can learn how to decorate my home beautifully, throw a killer party, and maybe win a few friends.

Sincerely,

Jen

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seriously need to write a book, then you'll become a millionaire and then.....you'll have people lining up to be your friend. Plus, we'll have a new book to read and discuss at book club. See how this will solve so many things.....Will you hire me as your life advisor?

smartalec said...

Don't worry. I'll buy you a front yard sign with obama's and mccain's faces pushed right up against each other. And in huge bold font it will say "we're all winners really."

It's guaranteed to get rid of any contention.

Unless you brought up propositions. And started signing "I am what I am." If that's a case you may have to start a new blog, and a new book club.

Jen said...

Linda, I would so totally hire you as my life advisor--I want to be just like you! I don't have a million dollars though, so can I pay you in good will?

Susan said...

I would like to say that no matter what happens at book club, the one thing I love is, we are all friends in the end!! Our political views are like our personalities; as different as our fingerprints! I love the fact that no matter what you say or do, all the girls still love each other! I love that we can discuss anything and even if some don't agree (and still talk about it months after in a "good hearted" way) we are all still accepted and welcomed! And Jen, just to clear things up, you are the person most of us want to be because of all your talents; inside and out! I LOVE THIS CLUB and love that I am accepted even though I am a loud, opinionated Southerner!

Candy said...

See Linda's first comment. That's all I have to say. Except, maybe, hurry up. No pressure, though!

Candy said...

Oh, and you won me as a friend long ago, but if you want to throw a party, I'm so there.

Especially if you have cake.

Lauri said...

You write very well, I look forward to your posting each month. I hadn't thought about the "Great Garden Dirt Fight" for a long time. Thanks for making me smile.