Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What I Learned at Book Club This Month: vol 7

For anyone who has ever been to a book club, you know that it's about more than just books.

Sometimes book club is all about the laughs. Sometimes it's a group therapy session. Sometimes it's a free labor camp. Sometimes it's even a center for higher learning. And sometimes, times like last book club, we really dive into the meat of life.

I can't get into the details of our conversation--it was far too private, but I will try to succintly sum it up for you.

Life is a gift comprised of many different packages. Some packages are big. Some packages are small. Some packages are very unexpected and completely take you by surprise. Sometimes we're happy with the package we receive, and sometimes not so much. Sometimes we're so disturbed by the package we receive that we mistakenly view it as a whole room full of problems, but with the help of friends we realize that that just isn't the case.

One thing is for sure though. Whatever junk happens to come your way, you can handle it.

Just remember to use a delicate touch.

Sincerely,
Jen

7 comments:

Lauri said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for finally posting. You did a great job and certainly made me laugh. That was a fun book club, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Stephanie :) said...

And some packages really aren't meant to be shared! :) That was a fun night. Thanks for letting me be a part of it all.

Brooke R. Harper said...

This is Brooke, I follow your Blog which means I really want to be part of your book club but no one has invited me and I don't want to ask.. .haha jk!but I have a question. Have you guys read all those books on your list???

Anonymous said...

Jen...

This was nicely done. If I had read it before you explained things to me I would have thought something totally different. But, now that I know what went on....I was dying laughing.

Thanks.

Candy said...

Stehpanie: Let me, hencefore to be known as the "sharer," let it be known that the package in question, hereby known as "The Package," was not meant to be "shared" in such a manner with the resultant "sharees." I had no intention of "sharing" The Package, in fact, I strongly discouraged said "sharing." Nevertheless, there is no stopping some people, who are determined to be "shared" with, regardless. In fact, you may consider me, the "sharer," officially appalled by the behavior of the "sharees," every one of them.

AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. . . . (Bah, ha, ha!)

Lucinda said...

I will hence be known as a sharee...and I would have missed out on a laugh like no other had I not forced you to share... I LOVE YOU CANDY!! Even if you are blind!

Candy said...

Hi, Brooke, welcome to the SNBC blog.

SOMEONE (and it wasn't me, though everyone says I'm the boss--well, really, they just say I'm bossy, but close enough!) decided that eleven was a good number for book club, because then everyone gets to pick once a year (we take December off). So if someone moves or dies, you are right up there at the top of the list. Unless you kill one of us, which would count you out, because we don't allow convicts (new rule that I just made up).

As to your question, those of us who have been in SNBC all--what?--fifteen years or so should technically have read all the books on the list, but in reality that doesn't happen, of course. So I can only speak for myself, and say that I have read probably about 90% of them, which isn't half bad, if I do say so myself (and I do, obviously). Although it may also mean I need to get out more. But there you have it.

If you have any good book suggestions, I'm sure we'd all love to hear them.

Thanks for dropping in!
Candy